Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Stranger – Part 2

“Excuse me gentlemen, I was wondering if you would be interested in a game of cards?” Trevor asked politely in his hoarse whisper.

“In a rush to loose some money?” one man said.

“We don’t play with trash boy,” the other one chimed in.

“Now boys, how could we pass up a nice game of cards?” Tom Wallace said smiling.

Names were exchanged then the men dealt the cards in silence, placing their bets they sat back and examined their cards.

“So where you from stranger?” Christopher asked.

“North. Just traveling through”

“Where are you traveling to?” Tom asked.

“No where really. When I find a place to stop, I’ll stop,” Trevor said smiling up at the men.

“How are you surviving without money?” Lester asked he was the one who refused to play with trash.

“Oh I have a bit of money. Whenever I’m getting low, I find a job for a bit,” Trevor said watching as the three exchanged looks.

“How much we playing with here Trevor boy? We won’t make the stakes too high, just so you don’t lose everything!” Tom chuckled.

“Where did you stop off last?” Christopher asked after the negotiations were over.

“Tennessee, Tellico Plains I think was the name,” Trevor said absently. The three changed looks again.

“Oh really? What were you doing way up in Tennessee?” Christopher asked.

“Tracking down a sorry son of a bitch who robbed me blind a year ago. Been on his trail for 6 months only to find someone got lucky and knocked him off for me.”

“That’s something huh,” Tom said.

“I wish I knew who did it, and thank him. Saved me a bullet,” Trevor said with a laugh.

“I bet,” Tom said again, clearing his throat. A soft click was heard from his end of the table. Trevor smiled.

“What did you do that for? I aint cheating.” He said lightly.

“I didn’t hear nothing,” Lester said in a menacing tone. Silence had exploded inside the tavern, no one was even breathing.

“It’s awfully funny that we just left Tennessee,” Tom said.

“Is that so? Whose turn is it?” Trevor asked looking around the table, seemingly oblivious of the sudden tension.

“It’s also funny that horse of yours looks awfully familiar.” Tom said.

“Well I bought him up in Tennessee, the one I had before bit the dust the second I rode into town,” Trevor said sitting his cards down. He leaned back in his chair and laced his hands on the back of his head.

“You look awfully familiar too boy,” Tom said.

“What are you getting at Tom? Did we run into each other in a bar in Tennessee and you’re hurt that I don’t recognize you?” He said with a laugh.

“You are one stupid son of a bitch Trevor,” Lester said.

“How so?” he asked keeping his gaze locked on Tom.

“You have three guns aimed at your belly and you sitting there smirking like you won the game,” Lester said.

“Who are you?” Tom asked.

“Who do you think?” Trevor asked. He took his hands slowly and put them on the table. He leaned in close to give Tom a good look.

No comments: