Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ooooh nastalgia

Is there something that you used to eat ALL the time as a child that you haven't had in years?

I just had a random craving for a Salty Dog.  Now I've looked this up, and what we call a Salty Dog is no where to be found..although it is very similar to all the recipes I've seen minus the alcohol.

You combine according to your taste:

Crushed ice
Salt
Lime juice

And you mix em together and crunch on the salty sour ice cubes.  Make sure you don't keep the spoon in the ice cubes too long, the ice will stick to the spoon and I was always told a chemical reaction can occur that's toxic.  Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I don't test it out.

My favorite part is drinking the water at the end, it's full of all the juice...slurp slurp.

OMG I don't know why this stuff makes me all giddy but it does.  I haven't made this in YEARS and I ended up getting way too much salt.  Next time I'll try to remember to go a little at a time...I just dumped some in ;).

It makes me think of being little when my oldest sister would make me and my other sister a glass.  She has this LOVE of salt, as in cuts up pickles pours enough salt to make the pickle white and the gobbles it up like it's candy.  I remember us all going nutso over this treat, but her more than anyone. 

So while I'm crunching on my tasty treat, what are you munching on?  Or thinking about munching on??

No comments: