Monday, October 26, 2009

Just a smidgen

When I cook an idea recipe, like many people, I throw everything together without measuring. This bugs Bo to no end because he likes things precise, so that if I ask him to cook it he knows exactly what to do. I keep telling him, he’d be perfect at baking, since it has to be exact. He has yet to give it a try, but I digress. This week I came up with something that turned out pretty damn good, which I admit not all of my creations are tasty enough for a repeat. I bake a ton of chicken, I add just about everything to it, bake it at a low temp until done and it comes out tender and juicy and oh so tasty. But a few days ago I tried something different since I ended up not using some ingredients. I’m going to share with you my new creation that has us in love, and gobbling up the leftovers without complaint.

I was going to make Greek Pizza Friday night, something I’ve wanted to give a try for a while. Last minute, Mom and I decided we’d order it instead. So what to do with the ingredients for it? Make Greek Pasta and chicken of course. Reminder, I don’t measure and I rarely time things. Here’s what I did.

Chicken:

1 lb boneless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
Lots of dried Parsley and Greek seasoning
5 cloves garlic (skin removed, left whole)
About 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil

I browned the chicken on high in a skillet for a few minutes on each side, then placed it in a baking dish with the garlic and some olive oil. Baked at °450 until the chicken reached °160.  Most of the time we end up dipping the chicken in BBQ sauce or something, but this time there was no need to have sauce it was perfect all on its own.

Pasta:

1 lb wagon wheel shaped pasta cooked(I accidentally added this much, but next time only a half a pound)
1 small can sliced olives, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 small container Feta cheese
1 container store bought pesto

While the pasta was still steamy hot, I tossed it with the feta to get a good coating, and then I added in all the ingredients and stirred to combine. The chicken we kept separate but would have been awesome added. I made this on Saturday and we’re still eating it! It’s tasty warm but ooh so much better cold. I added a little garlic salt to my portions, but I love garlic.

No comments: