Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The gathering

At the beginning of August (for the moment, this gets changed an awfully lot) is our 10th year high school reunion.

On one hand its woohoo we get to see everyone again.

On the other its shhhhiiiiittttttt we have to put up them again.

Don't get me wrong there were a few in our class that wasn't a preppy, stuck up asshole, but most of those we see now anyway. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same about their old school mates.

But the strangest part about the whole reuinion is its planning.  Now I'm not a planner, and I don't pretend to be.  But I do know that this is a class reunion, CLASS REUNION not children gathering.  There is to be a BBQ for us and our children, to last like 4 hours.  Then that night we'll have an hour long dinner....

Am I missing something?  Did my children go to school with me?  Not only that but I'd rather I don't know talk to people than chase after my kids all day.  You can't really have conversations with kids around, especially small ones like ours.  I love my babies, and I'm proud to be their Mama, but I'm sorry there are certain situations where children should be left at home.

Considering most of the class seems to be strung out on drugs or are alcoholics now.  Thats not exactly something I want to show my kids. Sorry.

Why not have a short meeting where we can bring the kids, and a long one to actually talk to one another in a calm environment?

Almost every person I've spoken to that are going has said the same thing.  How this is still the plan we don't know.  Bo and I aren't bringing the kids, and so are some of the others.  I'm sure we'll get some strange stares and talk because we didn't.  Wow Bo and Nikki must have mean children or something.  Nope, just don't want them introduced to certain people and its a class reunion after all.

Two people won't be there though.  Tim and Toney.  Tim died six years ago in a car crash.  He was thrown through the windshield and was in a coma for weeks.  I had a chance to go see him but I couldn't.  I wanted to remember the boy I played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with.  The one I used to disect worms with.  He was so serious as we grew up, and I remember being in high school and seeing how cute he'd become but by then we'd grown apart and barely spoke.  But when we did, it was always fun and I'd wish for those days when we played together.  I have a picture of us, that his mom took one day while I was over to play.  I still get tears when I see it.  And Toney, I've spoke about him here, here, and here.  Toney was killed along with his son in a car accident last October.  He was a good friend, and an amazing, hard headed at times, person.  He loved his son, and was beyond proud of him.  His whole face would change when he spoke of Elijah.  And Elijah was so much like his dad it was scary.   Without Tim and Toney, these reunions will be very lonely.

So what do you guys think?  Should our kids be the biggest attraction at our class reunion?  Explain this to me, cause I don't get it.

No comments: